What do Ronald Reagan, MC Hammer, Drago, Margaret Thatcher, RoboCop, Dan Quayle and a host of others have to do with saving the holidays?
That's the teaser for Fun House Theatre and Film's—what's sure to become annual—production The Ultimate Holiday Experience. The play, written by Jeff Swearingen and performed in the black box space at Plano Children's Theatre, features those characters and many others in a funny, bizarre tale set at the end of the Cold War, in America and Russia.
This week's run will also feature some local "celebrities" helping to save Christmas, as the role of Santa Claus is played by a different person at each performance, and yes, that includes yours truly. In one bar fight scene, Santa gets punched out by a baddie.
Hey, it's for charity.
Get the info about the show here, and below is a list of folks playing Santa at the seven performances, and which charity they're supporting (box office proceeds will go to each cause). It begins tonight with former NFL quarterback Sean Salisbury in the role. Whew, the pressure for me is somewhat relieved. (Fingers crossed.)
Also, here's a story in the New York Daily News about Sean's appearance.
- Thursday, Dec. 13: Elias Taylorson - Award winning local actor. Raising awareness and donations for Team Libby.
- Wednesday, Dec. 12: Sean Salisbury - Former NFL Quarterback and Sports Analyst appearing weekly on Fox 4. Raising awareness and donations for P.A.S.T. High School Concussion Program
- Friday, Dec. 14: John Garcia - Founder/Editor in Chief of The Column, thecolumnawards.org. Raising awareness and donations for Gideon’s Feet and Team Libby.
- Saturday, Dec. 15 (matinee): Judge John Roach, Jr. - 296th State District Court Judge. Fun House will be raising awareness and donations for CASA of Collin County.
- Saturday, Dec. 15 (evening): Shane Beeson - Acclaimed regional actor. Raising awareness and donations for Free the Children.
- Sunday, Dec. 16 (matinee): Blork from Matt Lyle’s Hello Human Female. Raising awareness and donations for A.S.P.C.A.
- Sunday, Dec. 16 (evening): Mark Lowry - Co-Founder and Editor-in-Chief of TheaterJones.com. Raising donations and awareness for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.