This year TheaterJones is attempting to review more local productions of The Nutcracker than ever before, from the smaller ballet schools to the big guns in town, Texas Ballet Theater, and with a few related shows thrown in.
You can start by reading dance critic Cheryl Callon's essay about her history with the ballet as a dancer, here.
Here's a list of the Nutcrackers we've reviewed so far, with the date it was seen for review and reviewer's name. Click on the company name to go to each review:
- Ballet Frontier of Texas at Will Rogers Auditorium, Fort Worth | Nov. 17 | By Cheryl Callon
- Texas Ballet Theater at Winspear Opera House, Dallas | Nov. 23 | By Cheryl Callon
- Kathy Burks Theatre of Puppetry Arts' version of The Nutcracker at Dallas Children's Theater | Nov. 25 | By Mark Lowry
- LakeCities Ballet at Marcus High School, Flower Mound | Nov. 24 | By Cheryl Callon
- Chamberlain Ballet at Eisemann Center for the Performing Arts, Richardson | Nov. 25 | By Cheryl Callon
- Ballet Ensemble of Texas at Irving Arts Center | Nov. 30 | By Cheryl Callon
- Collin County Ballet Theatre at Eisemann Center for the Performing Arts | Nov. 30 | By Katie Dravenstott
- Dallas Ballet Company at Granville Arts Center, Garland | Dec. 1 | By Katie Dravenstott
- Russia's Mariinsky Ballet, shown at movie theaters in 3-D on Dec. 3 | (Viewed on DVD) | By Cheryl Callon
- Dallas Repertoire Ballet at Eisemann Center, Richardson | Dec. 7 | By Katie Dravenstott
- Texas Ballet Theater at Bass Hall, Fort Worth | Dec. 8 | By Margaret Putnam
And here are the productions we still have left to review:
- The Texas Ballet Theater's The Nutty Nutcracker at Bass Hall (Dec. 21)
- Tuzer Ballet at Eisemann Center for the Performing Arts (Dec. 22)
- The Royal Ballet, shown in movie theaters through the Ballet in Cinema series (Dec. 23)
◊ To see listings for more Nutcrackers, type "Nutcracker" into the Find a Performance search bar at the top of this page, and then click the Search button to the right of that gold strip.