The 2011-'12 season for Fort Worth's Casa Mañana has been announced, both the children's and Broadway series, and it reveals one important question: The dates for the previously announced co-production with the Dallas Theater Center of To Kill a Mockingbird. And the answer is that it will be produced Sept. 24-Oct. 2 at Casa, meaning the Fort Worth production will happen before Dallas (which is Oct. 21-Nov. 20).
It also features what appears to be the first locally produced professional production of Jonathan Larson's Pulitzer Prize-winning musical Rent. The show has ended on Broadway and on tour, and now it's being licensed regionally. Several college theaters have already done it, and some community theaters have it on the books (Greater Lewisville Community Theatre has it this fall). But Casa's will be the professional debut, in March of 2012.
The Broadway series only has four shows, but it should be noted that two of the shows on the Children's Theatre season are well-known Broadway musicals. All shows happen at Casa Mañana Theatre in the Fort Worth Cultural District.
Here's the breakdown:
Casa's Mañana's Broadway season:
- To Kill a Mockingbird, co-presented with Dallas Theater Center. Sept. 24-Oct. 2
- A Tuna Christmas, starring Joe Sears and Jaston Williams. Nov. 12-20
- Rent, March 3-11, 2012
- Ring of Fire, the jukebox musical that uses the songs of Johnny Cash. June 2-10, 2012
Casa Mañana's Children's Theatre season:
- Oliver!, the musical. Oct. 14-30, 2011
- Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Nov. 26-Dec. 23
- Charlotte's Web, Feb. 10-26, 2012
- Disney's Alice in Wonderland, March 30-April 15
- Annie, May 4-20
Season tickets for the Broadway series start at $135, and at $64.50 for the children's series. Call 817-332-2272 or visit www.casamanana.org.