Dallas — The AT&T Performing Arts Center has extended the deadline for submissions for the 2017-18 and 2018-19 seasons of the Elevator Project, in which small arts organizations and individuals can produce work in various spaces in the Winspear Opera House and the Wyly Theatre. You know, like the groups selected in the first and second seasons did (there's still a few shows to go in the second season).
You now have through May 19 to apply. Below is the complete info and contact information:
The nonprofit AT&T Performing Arts Center today announced the submissions for the Elevator Project 2017/2018 Season will be accepted through Friday, May 19, 2017. The Elevator Project is a program that presents small, emerging and culturally specific arts groups and artists in performance space on the Center’s campus in the Dallas Arts District.
Through the Elevator Project, the Center pays performers a negotiated fee to present their work. The current Elevator Project Series featured presentations include Denise Lee, Max Hartman and Friends, PrismCo, Danielle Georgiou Dance Group and Melody Bell. The 2017/2018 season will be the first using the new submission and selection process.
Most works will be performed in Hamon Hall in the Winspear Opera House, or the Studio Theatre on the sixth floor of the Wyly Theatre, though artists are encouraged to consider creating work for other spaces on the Center’s campus, Sammons Park, spaces within Strauss Square, Sammons Community Stage, the donor reflecting pool and more. Center support includes venue management, operations, ticketing and promotion. Presentations will be chosen through an annual multi-level review and approval process that includes panels of arts professionals, educators, advocates, the Center and the City of Dallas Office of Cultural Affairs.
Priority will be given to submissions:
- From arts groups and artists that help create a diverse season for Elevator Project.
- For new, original and experimental work.
- For works unique to the performance space.
- For works designed to engage diverse audiences and geographic communities.
- From artists and groups without an official performance venue or home.
Applicants who have participated in two consecutive seasons must take a year off before applying again.
Submission and Selection Process:
- Each year, the Center will announce the application period for the upcoming Elevator Project season. Applications may be submitted by e-mailing them to ElevatorProject@attpac.org.
- Submissions will first be reviewed by the Elevator Project Advisory Panel, a group of 3-5 panelists jointly chosen by the Center and the Office of Cultural Affairs.
- These panelists may include arts professionals from Dallas or other cities, arts educators and advocates.
- The names of the panelists will remain confidential until the selections are announced.
- No artist/group with a submission, or with an immediate family member or partner with a submission, can participate on the Advisory Panel.
- The panelists will select and prioritize submissions.
- The recommendations will then be reviewed by the Center, the Office of Cultural Affairs and the Chair of the Cultural Affairs Commission. They will make the final selections.
- Center staff will take those recommendations and begin discussions with the artists/groups to establish the fee paid for each performance and secure the space and calendar.
Normally, the submission process will begin in January. For the 2017/2018 season, the process will begin in April and be accelerated.
2017/2018 Season (August 1, 2017 – July 31, 2018)
- April 17 - May 19, 2017: Applications will be accepted by e-mail during this five-week period. Applications to be sent to ElevatorProject@attpac.org.
- Late-May/Early-June 2017: Advisory Panel will meet to prioritize and select primary and secondary recommendations.
- Early June 2017: Recommendations are reviewed by OCA Director, Cultural Affairs Commission Chair and AT&T Performing Arts Center. Selections prioritized.
- June 2017: Center enters negotiations with selected applicants.
- July 2017: Season announced.
2018/2019 Season (August 1, 2018 – July 31, 2019)
- January 1 – 31, 2018: Applications will be accepted by e-mail during this period. Applications to be sent to ElevatorProject@attpac.org.
- March 2018: Advisory Panel will meet to prioritize and select primary and secondary recommendations.
- April 2018: Recommendations are reviewed by OCA Director, Cultural Affairs Commission Chair and AT&T Performing Arts Center. Selections prioritized.
- May 2018: Center enters negotiations with selected applicants.
- June 2018 Season announced.
Questions or requests for the technical specs for Elevator Project venues can be e-mailed to ElevatorProject@attpac.org.