Dallas — AT&T Performing Arts Center and Dallas Theater Center will begin performances for the hearing impaired, joining a number of other local theaters that do this, including Dallas Children's Theater, Artisan Center Theater in Hurst, and recently added, Theatre Three. But where those theaters have American Sign Language at some performances, ATTPAC and DTC will offer open captioning at one performance per show at Winspear Opera House, the Wyly Theatre's Potter Rose Performance Hall (not the Studio Theatre) and Kalita Humphreys Theater. Five DTC productions in the coming season will offer this, and the first Broadway Series tour with this service is the current production of A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder, at the final performance on 7:30 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 28.
Read the complete press release below:
AT&T Performing Arts Center (AT&T PAC) and Dallas Theater Center (DTC) today announced a collaboration with Theatre Development Fund (TDF) to provide, for the first time, open captioning services at select upcoming productions in the Margot and Bill Winspear Opera House, Dee and Charles Wyly Theatre and Kalita Humphreys Theater.
Captioning is intended for the deaf and hard of hearing. Open captioning, as opposed to closed captioning that can be turned off, will be displayed to the side of the stage to show patrons in the front orchestra what actors are saying or singing, as well as describe sound effects on stage. Partial support for open captioning is provided by TDF.
AT&T PAC’s A Gentleman’s Guide To Love & Murder will be the first production in this collaboration to offer open captioning at the Center this Sunday, Aug. 28 at 7:30 p.m. The current schedule is below, with additional AT&T PAC Broadway dates to be added.
- AT&T PAC’s A Gentleman’s Guide To Love & Murder, Sunday, Aug. 28, 2016 at 7:30 p.m. in the Winspear Opera House
- DTC’s Bella: An American Tall Tale, Thursday, Oct. 6, 2016 at 7:30 p.m. in the Wyly Theatre
- DTC’s A Christmas Carol, Sunday, Dec. 11, 2016 at 2 p.m. in the Wyly Theatre
- DTC’s The Christians, Sunday, Feb. 12, 2017 at 2 p.m. in the Kalita Humphreys Theater
- DTC’s Inherit the Wind, Sunday, June 4, 2017 at 2 p.m. in the Kalita Humphreys Theater
- DTC’s Hood, Sunday, July 16, 2017 at 2 p.m. in the Wyly Theatre
Tickets to performances with open captioning can be purchased online at www.attpac.org, by phone at 214-880-0202 or in person at the AT&T Performing Arts Center Winspear Opera House Box Office at 2403 Flora Street. The Box Office will be open 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. seven days a week and before performances.