We're back to a weekly, streamlined Places! At the end of this week's lists of new, continuing and ongoing performing arts events, therre's a sneak peek at upcoming shows.
The types of performances are color-coated:
RED for live/indoors
BLUE for online
GREEN for live/outdoors
ORANGE for drive-in/drive-by arts experiences
If we missed your group/performance, email Mark Lowry at email@example.com and he'll add it.
NEW THIS WEEK
Thursday, Oct. 28 through Nov. 4 | 2020
LIVE / INDOORS
Verdi Selections with Fabio
The Dallas Symphony Center | Meyerson Symphony Center | Dallas | Oct. 26-Nov. 1
Fabil Luisi conducts Verdi opera arias and selections, featuring soprano Angela Meade, mezzo Jamie Barton, and tenors Brian Hymel and Jay Gardner.
George Orwell's 1984
Circle Theatre | Oct. 29-Nov. 5
A free Zoom reading of George Orwell's 1984, adapted by Michael Gene Sullivan. Timely much?
LIVE / OUTDOORS
Parking Lot Comedy Festival
Amphibian Stage parking lot | Fort Worth | 8 & 10 p.m. Oct. 30-31
Amphibian Stage hosts stand-up comedians in four shows in its parking lot.
LIVE / INDOORS
Mozart's Jupiter Symphony and Bernstein's Serenade
Fort Worth Symphony Orchestra | Will Rogers Auditorium | Fort Worth
Guest violinist Karen Gomyo returns, and Brett Mitchell is the guest conductor.
LIVE / OUTDOORS
Orchestra of New Spain | Valley House Gallery Outdoor Garden | Dallas | 3 p.m. Oct. 31
The Orchestra of New Spain presents an outdoor concert.
This events opened before Oct. 22, and are continuing
My Red Hand, My Black Hand
Cara Mía Theatre Company and Soul Rep Theatre Company
Throiugh Nov. 8
The two theater companies stream an audio play version of Dael Orlandersmith's My Red Hand, My Black Hand, directed by Guinea Bennett-Price and featuring original music by Fredrick Sanders. The cast includes Dallas' own celebrated soul singer, N'Dambi, J-Davis Jones, and Allan Hayton.
The Bippy Bobby Boo Show: 2020 Call-in Special
Danielle Georgiou Dance Group and Theatre Three | Through Nov. 3
DGDG brings back last year's hit in a call-in special The Bippy Bobby Boo Show: 2020 Call-in Special, including a final show on Election Night.
Get Up, Stand Up! A Drive-In Celebration of Democracy
Kitchen Dog Theater | Dallas
Final performance on Election Night, Nov. 3
Kitchen Dog Theater presents Get Up, Stand Up!, a drive-in "celebration of Democracy," in the parking lot of its new home in the Design District, at 4774 Algiers St.
Cry Havoc Theater Company | Dallas
Extended through through Nov. 15
Cry Havoc Theater Company presents Endlings, an original work about climate change, presented as a streaming film.
It Came From Theatre Three
Theatre Three | Dallas
Through Nov. 1
T3 presents It Came from Theatre Three, four short Halloween-themed plays by local playwrights: The Loss of Jane by Nicole Neely, Doctor Diablo by Blake Hackler, The Old Woman in the Wood by Jeffrey Schmidt in collaboration with the Drama Club, and Bloody Mary by Jonathan Norton.
The Dallas Opera | Dallas
Through Nov. 8
The Dallas Opera streams its 2018 production of Bizet's classic.
The Festival of Independent Theatres
Festival of Independent Theatres | Dallas
Through Oct. 31
FIT is online this year, with six shows by Vena Cava Productions, Very Good Dance Theatre, Audacity Theatre Lab, Leos Ensemble, Lily & Joan, and Laughter League. The shows are:
- Audacity Theatre Lab: Daylan Hillis in Space by Brad McEntire and Jeff Hernandez
- Leos Ensemble: 3x3: Three Short Scenes from Pre-Modern Playwrights, from works by Margaret Cavendish, Æmilia Bassano Lanier, and Elizabeth Robins
- Lily & Joan Theatre Company: Redeemer Mine by J.C. Pankratz
- Laughter League: Up the Down Ladder, conceived and performed by Dick Monday and Tiffany Riley
- Very Good Dance Theatre: Plant Mom created by the VGDT ensemble
- Vena Cava Productions: Strike! by Zoe Kerr
DRIVE-BY ARTS EVENT
Aurora Dallas | DalPark Parking Garage (across from Neiman Marcus) in downtown | Dallas
Through Jan. 1, 2021
Aurora Dallas has transformed 10,000 square feet in a parking garage for drive-by art/light installations, to support local artists and vendors in a profit-sharing model. The artists in this exhibition are Brandy Michele Adams + Michael Moore + Robert Anthony; Eric Trich + Taylor Cleveland; Alicia Eggert; Danielle Georgiou; Julie Libersat; Melanie Clemmons + Zak Loyd; Zuyva Sevilla; David Stout; Francine Thirteen; Tramaine Townsend; and Blake Weld. The daily event begins at 7 p.m. in October, and 6 p.m. in November and December. The event closes at 1 a.m. Tickets are $30 per vehicle, and must be purchased in advance.
The following events happen weekly
Amy Stevenson's Mama's Party | Dallas
7:35 p.m. Mondays
Every Monday, via Facebook Live, Amy Stevenson hosts local singers performing show tunes and other songs.
Open Classical DFW
Open Classical DFW | Dallas
8 p.m. Tuesdays
Every Tuesday, via Facebook Live and YouTube, Open Classic lets participants play or sing works from the classical music, opera and musical theater canons.
Brizo Bar | Richardson
7:30 p.m. Saturdays
Every Saturday, in the parking lot behind Brizo Bar in Richardson, CarBaret screens a film and features live performances by performing artists and musicians before the movie.
- The Dallas Public Library presents a streaming performance by Devon Glover, known as The Sonnet Man, doing Hip-Hop Shakespeare | 7 p.m. Nov. 5
- Over the Bridge Arts presents its third annual Burning Woman Festival, with theater, dance, poetry and music created and performed by women, and recorded Arts Mission Oak Cliff. | Nov. 5-8
- The Dallas Children's Theater's Social Justice Plays brings Idris Goodwin's short play #MATTER. | Nov. 6-15
- Dallas Summer Musicals presents the online concert Live from the West Side: Women of Broadway: Laura Benanti | 7 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 14
- Dallas Summer Musicals presents the online concert Live from the West Side: Women of Broadway: Vanessa Williams | 7 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 5
LIVE / INDOORS
- TITAS/Dance Unbound presents Parsons Dance Company, the first event in the Winspear Opera House since the shutdowns began. | 8 p.m. Nov. 20
- Orchestra of New Spain presents Christmas at Our Redeemer at Our Redeemer Lutheran Church, Dallas | 8 p.m. Dec. 6
LIVE / OUTDOORS & DRIVE-IN
- ArtStillery's next ArtCultivation, an ongoing variety show, is in the parking lot behind its venue on Fort Worth Avenue in West Dallas. | 8 p.m. Nov. 6
- Verdigris Ensemble presents outdoor, socially distanced vocal performances at Arts Mission Oak Cliff | Nov. 6-8
- Avant Chamber Ballet presents Season Premiere: Under the Stars at the AT&T Performing Arts Center's Annette Strauss Square. | 6 p.m. Nov. 6-7
- Teatro Dallas and Deep Vellum Publishing present A Grave is Given Supper, performed outdoors at the Latino Cultural Center | Nov. 7-14