Welcome to a new series on TheaterJones: A Little Dreaming is Dangerous: The Proust Questionnaire Offstage.
If that sounds heady, you only need to know that it's based on the Proust Questionnaire, a series of questions that inform about the interviewee's personality. It was popularized by the French author Marcel Proust more than 130 years ago. Questions include "what historical figure do you most identify with," ""who is your favorite fictional villain," or "where would you like to die"? The magazine Vanity Fair famously co-opted the Proust Questionnaire.
This video series is now a collaboratin between Betsy Lewis, a Dallas-based journalist, and videographer Jon Collins. Lewis uses prompts from various versions of the Proust Questionnaire, and throws in a few questions of her own. The interview subjects will be folks in the performing arts community in North Texas.
Next is Ashley H. White, the co-founder of Imprint Theatreworks, which closes its second season this week with Lizzie, a rock musical about infamous ax murderess Lizzie Borden. It runs Oct. 31-Nov. 16 at the Bath House Cultural Center. More info is here. White is also a respected fight choreographer and intimacy direcfor who has worked with Dallas Theater Center, WaterTower Theatre, Uptown Players, Kitchen Dog Theater and many other groups. White writes a monthly column for TheaterJones, called Square One. The latest installment is here. They chatted at White's home, with her pug Maggie in her lap.
Previously in Proust Offstage:
- Actor and director Christie Vela (July 9, 2019)
- Playwright Jonathan Norton (Aug. 6, 2019)
- Playwright Matt Lyle (Aug. 12. 2019)
- Choreographer and director Danielle Georgiou (Aug. 22, 2019)
- Playwright, director and actor Blake Hackler (Sept. 9, 2019)
- Actor Christopher Llewyn Ramirez (Sept. 18, 2019)
- Playwright, director, actor, poet and novelist Anyika McMillan-Herod (Sept. 25, 2019)
- Actor and comedian Paul J. Williams (Oct. 11, 2019)