Welcome to Jonathan Tsay's podcast Between the Barlines. Tsay has performed recitals for international organizations, including in Taiwan and Canada, as well as for local outfits Fine Arts Chamber Players and The Cliburn, where he works with classroom outreach.
In this podcast, he chats with musicians working in Dallas-Fort Worth and beyond. Learn more about Tsay and the podcast in this introduction:
In this episode, Tsay chats with David C. Brown, is the Assistant Director for Music Operations in the Division of Music at SMU Meadows School of the Arts. He is part of the team bringing the Cliburn's Junior Competition to SMU—the first time the Cliburn will have had one of its competitions outside of Fort Worth. They talk about his training and his career as a piano technician, and his love for R&B and gospel music.
The Cliburn International Junior Competition runs May 31-June 8 at Caruth Auditorium at SMU, with finals at the Meyerson Symphony Center. The jury chairman is Alessio Bax, and the honorary chairperson is Laura Bush.
Tickets are on sale now here.
Here's Part 1 of the interview:
And here's Part 2:
PREVIOUS EPISODES OF BETWEEN THE BARLINES
- Episode 1: Violinist Gary Levinson (Sept. 14, 2017)
- Episode 2: Violinist Stirling Trent (Sept. 25, 2017)
- Episode 3: Violinist Eunice Keem (Oct. 10, 2017)
- Episode 4: Violinist and Open Classical founder Mark Landson (Oct. 26, 2017)
- Episode 5: Pianist Thomas Yu (Nov. 7, 2017)
- Episode 6: Clarinetist Stephen Ahearn (Dec. 2, 2017)
- Episode 7: Pianist Shields-Collins "Buddy" Bray (Dec. 21, 2017)
- Episodes 8 & 9: Pianist Alex McDonald (Jan. 25, 2018)
- Episodes 10 & 11: Double bassist Szymon Marciniak and pianist Evan Mitchell (Feb. 25, 2018)
- Episode 12: Erin Hannigan, Principal Oboe of Dallas Symphony Orchestra (March 7, 2018)
- Episode 13: Jacques Marquis, President and CEO of The Cliburn (July 8, 2018)
- Episode 14 (two-parter): Violinist Chee Yun (Sept. 17, 2018)